Do you have jewelry that causes skin allergy or irritation? Here’s how to solve your problem and avoid a nickel allergy ♦
Some say allergies are on the rise. As for the jewels, unfortunately, they have always been a problem. The reason is simple: there are metals that cause allergic reactions when in contact with the skin.
This is why allergy sufferers choose gold jewelry. The yellow metal, in fact, is hypoallergenic, that is it rarely causes reactions in contact with the skin. But then, why does it also happen who wears a gold jewel to suffer from redness or irritation on the part of the body in contact with earrings, bracelets or necklaces?
Watch out for carats. It is an allergic reaction called contact dermatitis and is caused when pure gold is not used. This metal, in its natural state (24 carats) is too soft and easily deformed. For this reason jewelers tie it together with other metals, such as nickel. In this way the gold jewel becomes more resistant. On the other hand, the metal contained in the alloy can cause an allergy. All the jewels in 18, 9 or 9 carat gold are in alloy with other metals. 18 carat gold, for example, means that out of 10 grams of metal, only 7.5 are in pure gold, while at 12 carats it drops to 50%.
Other metals. Another, more expensive way to avoid allergies is to choose platinum or titanium jewelry, two hypoallergenic metals. Copper, recommended by many, is certainly not a real alternative to gold: not only does it not have the same luster (even if it costs much less), but when in contact with sweat, it can ruin and dye the skin. Even silver, as long as it is sterling (92.5% pure) is often tolerated by those who have a nickel allergy, but must be constantly cleaned to prevent blackening.
Tricks to avoid allergies. How to avoid nickel allergy? The first answer is obvious: ask the jeweler if the jewel’s metal alloy contains nickel. But if at home you already have jewels that cause skin irritation or allergy, a simple trick is to use nail polish. The transparent one, of course. This system does not work well with chain necklaces, but can solve the problem with a ring or bracelet. Just cover the inside of the jewel, the one in contact with the skin, with transparent nail polish. This prevents nickel from coming into contact with the skin of the hands or wrist. Of course it is necessary to check over time that the enamel is not consumed with the use of the jewel. Rudy Serra