Il marchio 925 su argento
Il marchio 925 su argento

What is 925 silver?

What does the number 925 mean in jewelry? If you are reading this article you are wondering why this mysterious figure is imprinted on some rings, necklaces, earrings or bracelets. And in fact, there are many people who have asked us for it. The more experienced will smile: the answer is very simple. But there are several things to know around the 925 brand.

Anello in argento sterling con ametista. È visibile la punzonatura con il numero 925
Pianegonda ring in sterling silver with amethyst. The hallmark with the number 925 is visible

What does the number mean. The number 925 stamped on the surface of a jewel (but also of household items or cutlery) is associated with silver. Indeed, to a particular type, the one that distinguishes sterling silver. And here is the meaning of the number revealed: sterling silver is an alloy made up of 92.5% pure silver, while the rest of the metal is made up of other metals, almost always copper for the remaining 7.5%. Why not use 100% pure silver? The answer is that an alloy with other metals makes silver more resistant: your rings and earrings will scratch less. At the same time, this alloy allows for simple silver processing. More rarely, you may also find the number 999. In this case it is pure silver, not alloyed with other metals. But in this case you have to be careful, because pure silver is also very soft and deforms more easily.

Collana della collezione Skin
Silver necklace from the Skin collection

Oxidation. Sterling silver also tends to turn black, that is, it oxidizes. To reduce silver oxidation and porosity, in addition to copper, other substances can be added, such as germanium, zinc, platinum, silicon and boron. But they are alloys that then take on other names, such as argentium or sterlium.

Anello in sterling silver
Sterling silver ring by Thomas Sabo

How to clean sterling silver? Find all the information in this article.

argento ossidato
An oxidized silver bracelet

History. But why is 925 silver called sterling, the English name for sterling? Obviously because the pounds were made in silver. The sterling alloy, however, did not originate in England, but in continental Europe and was used for trade as early as the 12th century in the area that is now Northern Germany. In England the composition of sterling silver was subject to official controls even before the mid-1100s. This type of alloy then spread all over the world.

Bracciale della collezione Selene in argento rodiato
Bracelet from the Selene collection in rhodium-plated 925 silver by Officina Bernardi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

The Parisian style of Lise Vanrycke

Next Story

In Rome, research and jewelery with Incinque Jewels

Latest from Campus